A few things in life cannot be ignored and aftershave is one of them. It is a staple item for men’s shaving boxes. It’s a must-have for anyone who shaves facial hair regularly. It is essentially an alcohol-based, astringent-like formulation in the form of a liquid, gel, or paste, meant to soothe the skin once you are done shaving. Using aftershave is a necessity for a good number of reasons. Let’s delve deeper to understand what these reasons are, what’s the importance of aftershave in your daily grooming regimen, and how to apply it correctly.
Why Is Using An Aftershave Important?
Aftershave is generally used to soothe skin that may have been abraded, bruised, or irritated due to sharp razor movements. The importance or the benefits of an aftershave majorly depend on its ingredients.
Let’s discuss why aftershave is important:
- It helps in healing cuts, razor cuts, abrasions, and bleeding caused as a result of the use of harsh razors and shaving creams.
- Helps in closing pores to prevent chemicals, bacteria, dirt from seeping into the skin layers.
- Aftershaves bring a lot of hygienic benefits. They help reduce swelling, itching, skin damage, and bacteria build-up.
- The lasting fragrance of aftershaves adds a refreshing effect to your skin.
- Aftershaves help in promoting the growth of skin tissue to protect your skin.
- It helps in preventing folliculitis by protecting opened pores with a layer of oil.
Is Aftershave Required?
Yes, using an aftershave brings a host of benefits. If you are concerned about lack of moisture in the skin, open pores or persistent inflammation and irritation due to shaving, good aftershave cream can prove to be a one-stop solution to all your skin concerns. That’s why incorporating a good aftershave formulation into your routine is non-negotiable.
How to Use an Aftershave?
Aftershave is proven best when used at a point in your shaving routine. Let us now discuss how to use aftershave:
- Follow your daily shaving routine, be it for your face, armpits, legs, or anywhere.
- Rinse off that area with cold water thoroughly, making sure there is no shaving cream residue left.
- Use a dry and a clean towel to pat dry the area. Do not rub the towel on your skin as it can cause irritation.
- Put aftershave on your palm, rub it into both of your hands and apply it evenly onto the surface that you have shaved.
- Voila, you are done!
Aftershaves do have a number of benefits, for instance their antibacterial properties. But to avail of these, you have to use it right after shaving, and in an appropriate amount. Excessive use in the long term can have a damaging impact on your skin. For the best results, look for an aftershave solution with soothing properties and natural ingredients. When you find that perfect formulation, your aftershave will become your go-to choice to meet your skin’s moisturizing, healing, and soothing needs.
To figure out what works best for you don’t be afraid to experiment with a few different options.